Monday, October 5, 2009

What's wrong in Nacirema?

Public restrooms


I enter the ladies room and there is a woman bent over looking thru the hole under the door to find out which stall is free. None; all of them are taken and she’s looked under each door. “Terrible!” I think. And I wonder if other people feel like me, how wrong are the public restrooms, how bad are those big gaps under the doors and walls of those cubicles, how bad are those cracks between the door and the wall, almost an inch at the place where the lock is. By the way, what’s that lock for? Really?!!




Is it just that I’m a woman and we have our own special privacy concept? I know, men share their peeing with no apparent problem… or else? Am I right? Any man on this? I haven’t traveled a lot, but in every country where I’ve been, come on! They have real rooms (closed top to bottom) for the restrooms. Civilized countries from the First World (like France and Switzerland) as well as Third World countries like mine, Uruguay, Argentina, Chile or Brazil.




Whereas in Nacirema, where people have their privacy rights written in the Constitution, they go to the restroom in public! Is something wrong?

No comments: