Wednesday, October 21, 2009

What's wrong in Nacirema? AC matters

Even though I suffer the coldness more than other people, either because of my genetic nature, my lack of fat in the body or my Reynaud condition, many people agree that AC in Texas is exageratedly cold (freezing). During the hot weather, business, schools, stores, work places, hospitals, etc. set their thermostats near 58º F.

I hear teachers say that it's a good way to keep students awake. I thought that bears slept through the winter because of the cold; they avoid moving to be able to protect themselves from the cold by using their energy to maintain the body heat.



I hear that hospitals use the cold to maintain the germs numb. I thought that the common cold, allergies, cough and other respiratory conditions have their origin in virus that strive with lower temperatures, exactly because the cold kills other germs and those are able to take over!



I hear store owners say that the cold keep shoppers comfortable. What shoppers? At least for me the cold is not "comfortable", I suffer it and avoid the stores that are too cold. When I can't avoid it, I enter, buy what I NEED strictly as quickly as possible and leave as fast as I can.



I hear people say that they don't want to sweat, and the cold keep their glandular system asleep. Common sense says that sweat is GOOD, it cleans and detoxifies the skin and helps the body get rid of poisons. The body is meant to sweat, and avoiding it is against the nature. It could get people very sick the same way that not urinating can get people sick. People who have ever run or exercise in any way, know how well it feels after sweating. Especially when they took a subsequent good shower! Fresh and renewed, clarity of mind, calm, and energized. Most of a good life is made of chemical balance. Sweating can help.

Then, winter comes and the same people who where happy @ 58ºF, cannot get comfortable if the thermostat is lower than 75 or 80ºF. ¿? Of course they have a whole new battery of reasoning and justifying factors they will give to explain the unexplainable behaviour. Because some people go out of their minds to make themselves feel better!

No comments: