Wednesday, February 10, 2010

groupo de rua, or where is the music?

My son (21) and I went to the Hogg Memorial Auditorium, in UT Austin, last night to see Groupo de Rua. After half an hour of watching open mouthed 9 people writhing on stage like madmen accompanied by dead silence, we looked at each other with a question mark face: and the music? 
I guess their work reflects the depressing street life, where all young people can do is entertain themselves using their own bodies to express their lack of everything else. These 9 men's gloomy -even grim- faces, and awkward body movements send all the negativity, sadness and desempowerness' vibes from a life without hope, full of obstacles and standbyness that make it almost empty, stagnant, which was well transmitted by the vacuum of music. It made me think of the same impression I got every time I saw En attendant Godot (Waiting for Godot) by Samuel Beckett. With the only difference that Vladimir and Estragon actually made me laugh even in spite of their tragic frustrating quest. Well, I may not be the only one having a hard time understanding some phenomena of our modern society, am I? Follow the link under the pic to read a different review and this other comment on their multiple presentations around the world.

No comments: