Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Drinking from the source

The Mediterranean sea is technically a lake with no tides, albeit its water is salty. So the Corsican has to rely on creeks and small rivers. These are the crystal clear waters of the Ota river which I dare to drink from.
However, people mostly have used drinking water coming out of the rock. Water from the mountains' snow percolates the rocks and comes out in different places. Then they usually build a tubing system and an end point where one can go to collect it for one's use. This next one was on the mountain road, don't remember the exact location but, I think it's on the way south to Ajaccio.

I did often go with my bottle, filled it and had my drinking water for the day.
Next one is the one at Evisa, Aitone. It is in town, sometimes the central square was built around it, with its "required" pétanque court.
There is a great variety of constructions, this one was build of pebbles and river stones at Partinello. 
Next one is at Porto, where I used to refresh my feet after a long walk and fill up my bottle too. Deliciously refreshing!
So you believe me when I say we drank from them, not only me, but people come out to the mountain roads and fill up their containers, as you can see next. This one is near the village of Porto going south, if I remember correctly.
I hope you enjoyed the visit to Corsica with me. Leave your comments, please.




No comments: