Saturday, July 30, 2016

Mindfulness on the go

It's nice to practice mindfulness meditation where there are no disturbances, like home (with no small children), but another story is to practice anywhere, especially on the go. At least I am making the experience while hiking. The park trails I've walked are changing all the time, like everything else in the Universe. So, I started to realize every time I go it's like a whole new trail over again.

This is an interesting experience because when walking on a new trail, the walker has to be very alert, checking everything, all the senses awake, the mind sharply aware of every detail. Where does the trail go? What's the slope? And these stairs? Which path do I take when there are diversions? Is it dry or muddy, soft or slippery? Is that a stick or a snake? Sensations on the skin? Mosquitoes or horseflies? Then I notice that not many walkers have come lately, the spiders have had time to build their webs across the path, now they are stuck to my face. There is the constant buzzing noise of the cicadas. Then the sweat is coming, it itches, it runs inside my eye and other places.

It is humid and muddy from the recent rain.


There are loose rocks and my shoes give in sometimes.


Stairs in the woods?


And yes, lots of wildflowers because it's Texas after all. Time to stop and quench the thirst. 

This is the moment when I realize my mind is not thinking anymore, I am just in my body, experiencing it, experiencing the here and now, what is and is not. Just living alive. And it's a wonderful discovery!


No comments: