Wednesday, October 22, 2008

What a queer planet!



Many think, The Little Prince is a children's book. On the one hand, it could be. On the other hand, however, it has many levels of meaning that children can't see.

"Quelle drôle de planète!" Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

For example, today this is my picture: "good morning" he greeted the world, but only did the echo answer, "good morning, good morning" so the LP concluded that "People have no imagination, they repeat whatever one says to them". Usually,- I'm guilty too, we are so busy making a life and surviving that we forget to live, to be human beings, to relate to one another, to make true connections. We send e-mail chains that say nothing about ourselves, we text and phone people that we could visit because they're not that far after all.

I wonder if this crumbling down economy is not the result of a crumbling down humanity. We live closer and closer together in the cities while we draw farder and farder apart. I remember some years ago when my sister lived in the countryside, her closest neighbor lived 3 km away. They often walked or rode a horse once a day to pay them a visit and have a chat over a shared piece of fresh bread, or cakes. Now, I never see the face of my neighbor whose house is just a few feet away. We have no spare time? What's the matter with us? Do we prefer to talk to "rocks" that just repeat what we say? Or worse, are we afraid of each other? This week I'm thinking about changing. Shall I?

No comments: