Friday, November 21, 2008

Happiness is a state of being











It makes me sad to encounter frowning people. Yesterday I was so deeply touched by one person, that I haven't stopped thinking about that mind state that is the always seemingly fleeting happiness. I often wish I could make that person happy, but I know that's not possible.

I discovered it one day when I realized that I was the only person responsible for my own happiness. To that point, I'd never found anyone that could make me happy. No wonder I felt so miserable waiting for the fairy! I finally realized that I am the only one living my own life! From that day on, I decided to be the builder of my own happiness. And I kept my promise. I am the only one responsible for it, it's my work, I can't blame anybody else for feeling miserable. I know. It sounds like a lonely job to do. But actually, it could be lots of fun when we discover our own potential, and realize that God gives us the energy that we need to do it.


The decision had its price tag though. In my case, I had to make new choices, and when I made choices, I had to give up things, to sever my contradictions and shortcomings and become true to myself. I had to make painful changes that I had avoided out of fear for many years. Very often we keep feeling miserable just because we don't have enough courage to change and abandon the security -or insecurity, of the comfort zone. We are so much afraid of the unknown, including happiness, that we rather stay within the limits of the known. We are afraid of facing our own fears. It happens to the addicted individual as well as to the battered woman or man, to the mediocre student as well as to the hypocritical professional. Sometimes our lives look like we're parading the wrong way, but we keep going as if nothing is wrong... and we expect to be happy anyway.

To develop the courage, we need to first ground our soul on a safe place, so we can feel supported. Yogi Bhajan said : "Dwell in God. Dwell in God. Dwell in God. Befriend your soul. Dwell in God and befriend your soul. Dwell in God and befriend your soul. All the faculties and facilities of the Creation, which are in your best interest, shall be at your feet. You need million things; million things will reach you, if you are stable, established, firm, patient. Remember, Creator watches over you and Creation is ready to serve you, if you just…be you."

Once I learned to befriend my soul, a new world blossomed inside me. It envolved forgiving and loving myself. Today, I can go everywhere and be happy, I can face anything and be happy, I can hear good and bad news and be happy. It's like riding in the safe hands of God. It does not really matter what goes on around. I know He is in charge and will give me what I need in time.







In my life I had many wrong-bound parades, (I still have some that I'm working on), so I had to turn around and walk the way I suppose to go. Suddenly, not only have I found happiness but freedom within, the freedom of being me. We need to find our true self before we can find happiness. Then, all the rest falls back in place. Sat Nam! (truth is my identity)





No comments: